- Kim, J., Monroy-Hernandez, A. (2016). Storia: Summarizing Social Media Content based on Narrative Theory using Crowdsourcing. Proceedings of the 19th ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work & Social Computing (CSCW '16). To appear.
- Kim, J., Bagla, A., Bernstein, M. (2015). Designing Creativity Support Tools for Failure (poster). Proceedings of the 2015 ACM SIGCHI Conference on Creativity and Cognition (C&C '15). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 157-160.
- Kim, J., Dontcheva, M., Li, W., Bernstein, M., Steinsapir, D. (2015). Motif: Supporting Novice Creativity through Expert Patterns. Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '15). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 1211-1220. Honorable Mention Award.
- Kim, J., Cheng, J. & Bernstein, M. (2014). Exploring Complementary Strengths of Leaders and Crowds in Creative Collaboration. Proceedings of the 17th ACM conference on Computer supported cooperative work & social computing (CSCW '14). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 745-755.
- Kim, J., Ricaurte, J. (2011) TapBeats: Accessible and Mobile Casual Gaming. Proceedings of ASSETS 2011: The 13th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility, Dundee, Scotland, October 24-26, 2011. New York: ACM Press, pp. 285-285.
- Tran, J.J., Kim, J., Chon, J., Riskin, E., Ladner, R., and Wobbrock, J. (2011). Evaluating Quality and Comprehension of Real-Time Sign Language Video on Mobile Phones. Proceedings of ASSETS 2011: The 13th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility, Dundee, Scotland, UK, October 24-26, 2011. New York: ACM Press, pp. 115-122.
- Kim, J., Tran, J.J., Johnson, T.W., Ladner, R., Riskin, E. and Wobbrock, J.O. (2011). Effect of MobileASL on communication among deaf users. Extended Abstracts of the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '11). New York: ACM Press, pp. 2185-2190.
- Tran, J.J., Johnson, T.W., Kim, J., Rodriguez, R., Yin, S., Riskin, E., Ladner, R., and Wobbrock, J. (2010). A Web-Based User Survey for Evaluating Power Saving Strategies for Deaf Users of MobileASL. Proceedings of ASSETS 2010: The 12th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility, Orlando, FL, October 25-27, 2010.
- Brown Institute Magic Grant, 2013
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, 2011
- Mary Gates Research Scholarship, University of Washington, 2011
- Honorable Mention, Computer Research Association (CRA) Outstanding Undergraduate Researcher Award, 2011
Currently, I am a fourth-year PhD student in computer science at Stanford University. In 2011, I received my BS in Computer Science at the University of Washington, where I discovered my interest in human-computer interaction research working on the MobileASL project with advisors Richard Ladner, Eve Riskin, and Jake Wobbrock. My research interests are in social computing and creativity on the web.
In my spare time, I love to paint and draw! I was one of the original founding members of the Graphic Novel Society at UW and served as its president from 2008 to 2011. I'm a big fan of comics and graphic novels of all kinds, and I run my own webcomic called Herogirl Comics.